PSU & OHSU IHI Open School Educational Events
"Speculating on the Future: Improving the Health of Oregonians in an Uncertain Environment"
March 6, 2017 - Dr. Robyn Liu (Assistant Professor, Family Medicine & Preventive Medicine, OHSU) moderated an excellent discussion between expert panelists to discuss potential implications of Trump’s presidency on healthcare reform in Oregon and what it means for our Medicaid waiver and health disparities. Students, faculty, health professionals and community members gathered in-person and the web. Our expert panelists included:
Vanetta Abdellatif, MPH (Director of Integrated Clinical Service, Multnomah County Health Department)
Peter Graven, PhD (Health Economist, Center for Health Systems Effectiveness)
Lynne Saxton (Director, Oregon Health Authority).
How can you get involved in improving healthcare for Oregonians?
- The Oregon Health Authority (OHA)recently launched a new website highlighting the impact of the Affordable Care Act on Oregon. Here, you can find resources and data to help you become an informed consumer: http://www.95percentoregon.com
- The Public Health Department has many boards and stakeholder groups. Volunteers are needed to participate in these groups! Check out the Advisory Board and Committees page on OHA website to learn how to get involved!
- Read broadly and deeply to contribute to informed discussion.
- The Consumer Majority Board for Health Centers includes community members. If you are interested in this monthly commitment, please e-mail Vanetta at email@example.com
- Phone calls work! If you're in his district, contact Congressman Walden to voice your opinion. Click here for district map.
- Walk 30 minutes a day.
"Population Health & Improvement: Post-Election Implications"
November 21, 2016 - Dr. Robyn Liu (Assistant Professor, Family Medicine & Preventive Medicine, OHSU) moderated an excellent discussion between expert faculty panelists to discuss the implications of the 2016 election for health systems reform and policy. Over 100 students, faculty, health professionals and community members gathered in-person and the web. Our expert panelists included: Dr. Lawrence Wallack (Professor, OHSU-PSU School of Public Health), Dr. Alisha Moreland-Capuia Assistant (Professor of Psychiatry, OHSU School of Medicine), Dr. David Pollack (Professor of Public Policy, OHSU School of Medicine) and Dr. Jack Miller (Professor, PSU Hatfield School of Government)